Choosing the right hand cream for your hands can be a daunting experience as we look down the never-ending hand cream and moisturizer aisle in our supermarket.
Some hand creams are claiming that they can heal our dry cracked hands, other hand creams state they can make our fine lines, signs of aging and wrinkles disappear.
They all seem to make promises but do they really work and which one is the best hand cream for you?
Our hands constantly are working and we need to thank them for everything they do for us but how?
One of the best ways of showing your hands how much you appreciate them is by smothering them daily with a good quality hand lotion.
But you might be thinking, how can I choose the right hand cream for my hands?
Here is a quick comparison of the best hand cream we reviewed. If you’re in hurry, you can jump straight to our top picks of 2018.
How Does Hand Cream Work?
It is important to understand how the best hand creams on the market work because it will help us to choose the right one for us.
We need to get moisture such as water into our hands, but as you know, it is impossible to massage water into our hands, as it will just quickly evaporate or drip off.
How can we get moisture into our hands naturally?
Hand creams are the secret. They are designed to allow the moisture to penetrate deep into our skin making our aging hands return to their youthful vigor.
Most hand creams for cracked hands will use moisturizer plus oil because the oils trap the liquid in a bubble.
So when the oil/moisturizer mixture is massaged into our hands, the skin drinks up the oil along with the moisturizer, leaving your dry, chapped and cracked hands looking ageless.
What Ingredients Should Hand Cream Contain?
Logically, as we are putting this hand cream onto our skin, it will be absorbed into our body, we will want to make sure it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals such as synthetic dyes, formaldehyde, preservatives or cocamide.
Here is a short list of some ingredients you want to see in your hand cream:
Top 10 Hand Cream of 2018 – Reviews
All of these products have amazing powers for rejuvenating your hands back to the days when you were a teenager. Each one has been personally tested and has received an honest review, explaining the pros and cons of each hand cream.
But with so many fantastic hand lotions, it is going to be difficult to choose just one.
1. AHAVA Mineral – Best Hand Cream for Cracked Hands
This hand cream protects your hands but at the same time improves your skin’s moisture levels, resulting in the world’s softest and smoothest hands.
The hand cream contains witch hazel extract and allantion, which revitalizes your hands by healing any dry, cracked skin and removes any unsightly sunspots and blemishes.
You can use it throughout the day, as often as needed. It is quickly absorbed into your skin without leaving your hands greasy. This will provide your hands with much needed nourishment and hydration, which will rejuvenate your hands in a matter of days.
AHAVA is a Hebrew word meaning love, and by using this cream daily, you will be telling your hands how much you love them.
- Once the cream is applied, it has a long lasting affect on your hands, making them feel soft and smooth.
- A small amount goes a long way; one pea-sized dab is enough to penetrate deeply into your hands.
- Its’ non-greasy formula leaves your hands feeling revitalized but without leaving greasy fingerprints throughout your house. The cream quickly absorbs into your skin.
- This is an excellent hand cream for those who live in dry dessert like environments, as it revitalizes your hands and protects them from the harsh arid atmosphere.
- It has a strong distinctive scent due to the witch hazel extract and cannot be used if working in a scent-free environment or suffer from scent allergies.
- The price tag can be a deterrent, as it is more costly than other hand creams.
- It is difficult to find at local stores, it has to be ordered online or at specialty stores.
2. Jurlique Hand Cream – Best Hand Lotion for Dry Cracked Hands
This is a non-greasy cream that is enriched with rich essential rose oil, that instantly moisturizers the driest and severely chapped hands in a matter of seconds, leaving your hands looking soft and supple.
Jurlique hand cream is very delicately scented with natural antioxidants that penetrate deeply into your knuckles and cuticles, making them as soft as velvet.
It is ideal to use after a hard day’s work in the garden or kitchen, treating your hands and giving them much needed pampering.
- It has a non-greasy formula, which is quickly absorbed into your skin, making your skin extremely soft and supple. Plus, because of the fast penetration, your hands will not be greasy and you won’t need to worry about leaving greasy fingerprints everywhere.
- All of the ingredients are extracted from plants, so it is a very natural non-chemical hand cream. It is likened to giving your hands a green smoothie, as it nourishes deep into the pores.
- It works great with those who suffer from allergies or sensitive skin and quickly heals the driest and most chapped hands in a matter of days. It is suitable for everyday use.
- The packaging is very simple and can become slightly roughed up in delivery, making it a depressing gift.
- It comes with an expensive price tag, but a small dab goes a long way. It will last a long time.
- The rose scent might not be allowed in a scent-free environment for those sensitive to scents and fragrances.
This hand cream has been voted one of the best, year after year, and for a reason.
It’s powerful formula is made up of 20% Shea Butter, honey and almond extracts, which protects and nourishes our hands, leaving your hands soft and smooth without a greasy trace.
It can be used daily and as often as needed.
This cream is considered to be a must have for many people of all ages, as it can heal your hands from the inside out.
- This cream begins working at nourishing and moisturizing your hands only minutes after applying, leaving your hands soft and smooth.
- It has a non-greasy formula that guarantees that you won’t be leaving oily fingerprints behind you.
- This cream contains top quality ingredients and uses a fair trade agreement with the ladies in Burkina Faso that produce the high quality Shea Butter, so you can have peace of mind using this hand cream.
- It does have a slight lavender scent that can cause irritation for those sensitive to scents and is considered to be unacceptable for those of us who work in a scent free environment. The good news is that you can purchase a scent free version of this product.
- It is considerably more expensive than other hand creams on the market, but a small dab goes a long way.
- There are many counterfeit products online, make sure you buy from a trustworthy retailer.
This hand cream is truly therapeutic as it helps to restore, repair and protect your skin from the harsh environment and harmful irritants.
It is also hypoallergenic so it is suitable for all skin types.
It is especially recommended for those who suffer from eczema flare ups, keeping your hands beautifully soft.
This is one of the top hand creams recommended by dermatologists for those who suffer from eczema or other sensitive skin disorders.
- It is a non-sticky and non-greasy formula that is quickly absorbed into your skin, healing your skin from the inside out.
- Highly effective at curing severely dried, chapped and cracked hands in a matter of days.
- It is suitable for all skin types, even those that suffer from allergies. Dermatologist recommends it because it is one of the one of the only hand creams on the market designed and formulated by dermatologists.
- The price tag can be a deterrent, as it is pricier than other hand creams on the market.
- It can only be ordered online or purchased in specialty stores.
O’Keefe’s Working Hands hand cream is a super concentrated hand cream that heals, nourishes and repairs severely cracked hands.
It does this by creating a protective layer on your hands, which increases the moisture level thus preventing moisture loss.
- It comes with a lower price than some of the other hand creams on the market that promise to heal severely cracked hands
- Comes with 100% money back guarantee, with no questions asked, if you are not completely satisfied with their product.
- It is hypoallergenic and scent free, so it is suitable for all skin types and can be used in a scent free work environment.
- It really works. It can be used to cure dry hands or used daily as a protective measure against the harsh atmosphere.
- It is only available online and the price of shipping can sometimes cost more than the actual product.
- It forms a thin sticky residue on your hands, so be prepared to leave sticky fingerprints wherever you touch.
- It does not heal your cracked cuticles around your fingers.
This is another one of the many trusted products that we have come to expect from Neutrogena.
After just one application, you will begin to feel your hands softer and smoother.
It is hypoallergenic and comes in a scented and fragrance free version.
Click here to Buy it Now
- Widely available nationwide at most supermarkets and drugstores, at a very affordable price.
- It is a quickly absorbed formula, leaving your hands feeling soft and smooth instantly. Your fingers will be non greasy, as no none wanted oily fingerprints will be left behind.
- It comes in a scented and non-scented formula, so it is recommendable for those who have to work in a scent free work environment or are sensitive to fragrances.
- It leaves a very light residue on your skin, which feels like wearing a latex glove.
- If you are suffering from extremely dry and cracked hands, this cream is not the solution, as it is to be used for preventing your hands from becoming cracked and not for healing your hands.
This is a very special restorative hand cream that can moisturize, nourish and protect your hands by using their formula of glycerin, vitamin E, Aloe Vera, almond extracts and other botanical oils.
It comes with a soothing and luxurious lavender scent that helps us unwind. It protects our hands by making a protective barrier around our hands.
They proudly make all their hand creams in the USA.
There is an unscented version available for those with allergies.
Click here to Buy it Now
- It makes a wonderful gift for someone you love or for yourself.
- Immediately after using, it begins to moisturize and nourish your hands, curing the driest and most cracked hands in less than 24 hours from applying.
- This hand cream comes in an unscented version for those who are sensitive to fragrances or work in a scent free environment
- It is only available at specialty stores or online.
- This is not a hypoallergenic hand cream; some people might have an allergenic reaction to using it. As with all hand cream, apply a small amount and observe for 24 hours before applying more.
Using only the finest European ingredients in their hand cream, they have created a sumptuous hand cream that your hand will drink up and ask for more.
It comes in a beautiful artisan package that makes a beautiful gift.
Made with 20% Shea Butter and made in England.
- It is a very thick and creamy hand cream that has a lovely rose scent that leaves your hands soft and ageless.
- This cream makes a wonderful gift because of the beautiful packaging.
- Uses a non-greasy formula that will not leave a thick residue on your hands or oily fingerprints.
- It is difficult to find at specialty shops and can only be ordered online.
- This is more of a ‘feel-good’ hand cream, as it doesn’t protect your hands from loosing moisture or healing them from the harsh environment.
- If you are sensitive to scents or work in a scent-free environment, this isn’t the hand cream for you.
9. Day Use No-Crack – Best Hand Cream for Dry Cracked Hands
This hand cream provides relief for your dry and cracked hands and it’s subtle scent is suitable for male and females.
This cream contains allantoin that heals severely dry hands, as it encourages tissue growth, helping your hands be nice and soft again.
- It packs a ton of power for a low price tag.
- This hand cream can heal the world’s driest hands in a matter of minutes, encouraging tissue growth and soothing the pain from the cracks in the skin.
- Available nationwide at Amazon stores.
- It leaves your hands feeling greasy and oily, so be prepared not to touch anything for the about 20 minutes after applying the cream, until your skin is able to soak it in.
- Even hours after applying it, your hands will seem to have a slight sticky residue.
Comes in 4 delightful scents: Cucumber, Berry Blossom, Fresh flowers and delicate petals.
Each one is enriched with Shea Butter, Aloe Vera and oats, keeping your hands soft and smooth all day long.
Click here to Buy it Now
- Designed to fit into your pocket or purse, thus, easy to carry with you wherever you are.
- Makes a cute gift that everyone will love.
- Available nationwide at all stores.
- It is more a soothing hand cream and will not heal your hands, if they are cracked or chapped.
- The scent might cause some to have allergenic reaction, so not suitable for all people.
What Hand Cream Is for You?
All of us are as unique as snowflakes, each one of us having different needs for a hand cream, but here are some simple hints in choosing a hand cream for a certain need:
1. How to Choose a Hand Cream for Aged Hands
Sunshine is the culprit behind aging our skins, especially on our hands as they are constantly exposed.
Normally, we take care to apply sunscreen to our face but somehow our hands are constantly forgotten about. That is why the skin on our hands age faster than the rest of our body.
How can we protect our hands from aging too fast?
One of the best protections against aging caused from the sun is sunscreen. Make sure you purchase an nnti aging hand cream that contains SPF and apply daily, as much as needed.
Also a good anti-aging hand cream should contain Vitamin A, C and E, keratin and collagen, as they help reduce discoloration caused from brown spots, plus it helps your skin to produce more collagen, meaning younger looking hands.
2. How to Choose a Hand Cream for Cracked Hands
During the dry winter months, our hands can begin to look like an earthquake zone because of our dry, chapped and cracked skin. The lack of moisture inside and outside, wreaks havoc on our dear hands, causing cracked skin on the knuckles to actually begin to bleed.
If this sounds like your hands, you need a good hand cream to heal your hands back to their supple state.
When choosing a hand cream to heal your cracked hands, make sure it contains the following ingredients. Vitamin E Oil, as it speeds up healing, reduces scarring and is an excellent moisturizer.
Shea Butter is ideal for softening and regenerating the driest skin. Aloe Vera helps with inflammation and forms a protective layer on your hands preventing further damage.
3. Which Is the Best Hand Cream for Nurses?
Nurses scrub their hands a couple dozen times each day, to keep those around them and themselves clean and germ free. Every time, they wash their hands, they wash away their skin’s natural protective oils, causing their hands to become dry, cracked and irritated from the harsh soaps they have to use.
How can nurses choose a hand cream that will heal their hands?
Nurses need to look for hand creams that will quickly penetrate their skin and last all day long, no matter how many times they will wash their hands, as they don’t have time to reapply cream each time they wash. What ingredients should a hand cream for nurses contain?
Look for hand creams that have Shea Butter, Lactic Acid, essential oils and Vitamin A, C and E. This is because all of these ingredients will encourage tissue growth and keep their hands soft and supple, so they can heal others.
4. How to Choose a Hand Cream for Wrinkles?
It seems each year, time seems to go faster and faster. As each year passes, more signs of aging gradually begin to show up, especially on our hands as fine lines, wrinkles and brown spots. We can’t just wish away these signs of aging; we will need to put some effort into making our hands look ageless and make these stubborn wrinkles disappear.
When choosing a hand cream for wrinkles, make sure it has vitamins such as vitamin A, C and E that will stimulate tissue growth, causing those wrinkles to disappear.
Also, a good quality anti-aging hand cream should have keratin, collagen and anti-oxidants as they renew your skin, and in a matter of days, you will be saying adios to your wrinkles.
HINT: One of the best ways to use any hand creams for the aliments mentioned above, is by regularly exfoliating your hands to remove the dry and dead skin cells. By regularly exfoliating your hands, it will allow for better and quicker absorption of the hand cream’s moisturizers into your skin, meaning faster results. This will allow your skin to regenerate, removing unwanted wrinkles and healing any dry, sore cracks.
It definitely is worth the time and effort to consider these important and valid points. The end result will be beautiful, moisturized, healthy hands. Not only will our hands look more youthful, they will feel better. Dry, cracked skin can be very painful and when left uncared or loved for, can even bleed.
Of course, we want to make the right choice for our personal needs. This list of the top rated hand creams includes pros and cons to help us. It comes down to basically the cost, availability, ingredients, the scent and the non-greasy, quick absorption.
We want a product that will do the job, protect and heal our hands.
Of the hand creams considered, two of the products rise to the top of the list- L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream and O’Keefe’s Working Hands Hand Cream for Normal to Dry Skin.
Based on the criteria discussed, these two deliver a product that works.
May your hands by happy!