Have you ever walked down the ‘creams and moisturizers’ aisle at your local supermarket or drug store?
Some stores have actually dedicated one or more aisles to hand creams and other types of moisturizers.
With so many options on the market, how can we choose the best anti-aging hand cream for us?
In this article, we will see how hand cream can prevent our hands from looking like our great-grandmother’s hands. We will compare 5 of the top brands of hand cream for aging hands.
But before beginning, let’s see why we need to use hand cream.
Why Use an Anti-aging Hand Cream?
We might be able to disguise our age by applying makeup, dying our hair and our dress, but our hands can age us, more years than we’d like to imagine.
No matter where we live in the world, most of us spend most of our time indoors. Forced air systems can create very dry and arid conditions that quickly cause the moisture from our skin to evaporate.
Dried skin can cause early wrinkling that ages your hands. Also they can become chapped, cracked or have fissures, which can invite infections and inflammation.
Just the sound of that seems so uncomfortable and it can all be avoided by applying a good quality hand cream.
How Does Hand Cream Work?
Hand creams contain moisturizers that help trap water in our skin, keeping our skin smooth and soft. As we age, our skin, especially on our hands, begins to lose moisture and look unattractive.
Hand creams restore the lost moisture and elasticity to our skin, making our hands look youthful and smooth.
Good quality hand creams for aging hands can reduce wrinkles.
What Ingredients Should a Hand Cream for Aging Hands Contain?
As we want to restore moisture to our hands, one of the main ingredients should be water. Most hand creams contain an oil-in-water emulsion to avoid the liquid from separating from the oil. Water applied to your hands alone will not soak in, but when applied with fatty oil, the skin quickly absorbs the water.
Occlusives are an oily substances found in your hand cream, the most common being petrolatum, lecithin, mineral oils, lanolin and paraffin. These fatty oils prevent the water from evaporating before allowing the skin to absorb the moisture.
Humectants pull moisture from the air and move them into the deeper layer of your skin. Some commonly used humectants are glycerin, honey, panthenol and urea. Humectants are always used with an occlusive, as it will dry your hands out if used alone.
Emollients make your skin feel smooth and soft. They don’t necessarily moisturize your hands but make them appear younger and healthy. Many alcohols are considered to be emollients when combined with humectants, which is interesting because most of us would conclude that alcohol would dry our skin.
Vitamins are used to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, as they stimulate the skin encouraging the production of collagen. Look for hand creams that contain vitamin A, C and E.
Hand creams designed for extremely dry and cracked hands should contain lactic acid. The lactic acid helps the skin to become more flexible, henceforth healing the cracks and preventing them from occurring.
Best Anti-aging Hand Cream Reviews for 2018
All of these products are fantastic at restoring your hands to their youthful vigor; you will see the pros and cons of each one. You might decide that more than one of these creams will help you with your aging hands.
1. Aveeno Positively Ageless Skin – Strengthening Hand Cream, 2.7 Oz
This product’s name is a guarantee in itself, that it will make our hands seem ageless and strengthen fragile and dry skin. It contains a fortifying southernwood extract that will help your skin hold in moisture.
It is one of the top dermatologist recommended brands on the market. Clinical studies have proven that this cream continues to moisturize your skin up to 24 hours after applying.
Buy Now on Amazon
- Offers fast results at a low price. You will see results in less than a week of regularly using the product.
- It doesn’t leave your skin feeling greasy or oily and is quickly absorbed into your hands, so you won’t be leaving greasy fingerprints everywhere.
- It has a nice light fragrance that is unisex.
- It can cause an allergic reaction to those who are sensitive to scents. Make sure you apply a small amount to your hands before using regularly, to avoid a bad allergic reaction.
- If you already have extremely dry and cracked hands, this cream will not be affective, it is meant to be used as a preventive measure from causing them to become dried out.
- It leaves a slight residue on your skin, even though it is not greasy, there is a slight film left on your hands, as if you would be wearing thin latex gloves.
2. Salcoll Collagen – Best Hand Cream for Wrinkles
This is considered to be the Rolex of all hand creams, as it is a hypoallergenic anti-aging hand cream that contains a potent natural collagen that can be quickly absorbed by your hands. This hand cream provides help by deeply moisturizing, protecting, regenerating and healing all types of hands.
Salcoll has perfected their no-crack formula throughout many decades, using a natural collagen which keeps your hands deeply moisturized all day long and heals wrinkles, cracks or any dryness. Using Salcoll is the best way to reward your hands for all the hard work they daily do for us. Splurge a little; your hands are worth it.
Buy Now on Amazon
- Its non-greasy formula is quickly absorbed into your skin, so you will not be leaving greasy fingerprints wherever you touch.
- You will notice results in less than 24 hours from beginning to use, making your hands smoother and curing the dry cracks and chapped skin immediately.
- It is hypoallergenic so it is safe for anyone to use, also it is scent free making it acceptable to use even when working in scent-free environments.
- It is one of the more expensive anti-aging hand creams on the market, but worth every penny paid.
- Salcoll hand creams might not be available at your local supermarket or drug store; they are normally available at department stores or online.
3. Miracle of Aloe – Miracle Hand Repair Cream
This hand cream rejuvenates and restores your dry, cracked and aged hands in no time. One of the main ingredients is ultra aloe that has special healing powers leaving your skin looking younger and feeling soft and smooth.
It is able to repair any cracked, chapped or wrinkled hands by restoring your hands to their youthful appearance. This hand cream can be applied throughout the day, as necessary. It is suitable to be used by both men and women of all ages.
Buy Now on Amazon
- Comes with a guarantee, if you are not 100% satisfied they will refund your money, no questions asked.
- It has deep curative qualities that can be noticed quickly in your skin and your nails. It is able to cure the most severely dried and cracked hands in no time, including hands that have been severely burned or sunburned.
- This hand cream is quickly absorbed into your skin and has a non-greasy formula, meaning you will not be leaving greasy fingerprints around the house.
- It has a strong baby powder scent that might remind you of the smell of latex gloves, that doesn’t disappear quickly.
- If you frequently wash your hands, you might not see the results expected and in some cases it might dry your hands out even more.
- Even though it has a non-greasy formula, it leaves a slight residue on your hands that feel like wax.
4. LT Organics – Best Paraben Free Natural Hand Cream For Dry Hands
This is an all in one cream that provides deep moisturizer for your hands, elbows and heels. Plus it is considered to be an anti-aging cream that reverses all signs of aging. They use a secret formula combining shea butter, cocoa butter, aragan oil and other anti-oxidants that will revitalize your dry, aged hands.
This cream can be applied daily and as needed. The more you use this cream, the more benefits you will receive, such as hydrating and soothing your hands. After only a few days of regular use, you notice the incredible changes and improvements to your skin.
Buy Now on Amazon
- It really does work, restoring your hands to supple and smooth skin of your youth. It makes your dry hands to thing of the past.
- A small amount goes along way; you only need a little bit to massage into your hands to see results.
- Their cream has a non-greasy formula that takes about 2 minutes to absorb into your skin, leaving no residue of the cream on your hands.
- It has a strong artificial fragrance that can irritate your skin and cause an allergenic reaction, also it is unsuitable to used if you work in a scent free environment.
- It costs more than other hands for the amount of cream you are getting, but then again you only need a small amount of cream to use each time.
5. Maple Holistics – Natural Hand Cream for Dry and Aging Hands
This is an all-natural daily hand cream that is suitable to be used for someone with the most sensitive skin. Immediately after being applied, it begins to restore your cracked skin, any skins of aging, wrinkles and dryness.
Contains no harsh chemicals, such as petroleum, parabens, sulfates or artificial fragrances. It is 100% made in the USA and is hypoallergenic, environmentally friendly and not tested on animals.
Buy Now on Amazon
- 100% money-back guarantee. No questions asked refund.
- It is hypoallergenic and doesn’t contain any artificial scents or harsh chemicals, making it suitable for all types of people and can be used in a scent-free environment.
- Excellent moisturizer leaving your skin smooth and soft, healing quickly any cracks or dryness, leaving your hands looking ageless in a matter of days. A small dab of cream goes a long way, without leaving your hands greasy and oily.
- It cannot restore severely dried and chapped hands; it is more for maintaining the moisture in your hands. Better for use in warmer months, when it is not so dry and cold outside.
- It has a natural fragrance that is not everyone’s cup of tea.
How to Correctly Apply Hand Cream?
Apply at least twice a day by following these instructions:
Step 1: Wash your hands using gentle hand soap and dry with a soft cloth.
Step 2: Take off your rings or turn the stones backwards, towards the inside of your palm.
Step 3: Apply a pea-sized portion to the back of one of your hands.
Step 4: Place the back of your hands together and bring to rub together.
Step 5: Thoroughly rub into your hands, paying extra attention to your knuckles or other dry areas. Repeat on your other hand. Rub all the cream in, until it has soaked in to your skin.
Hints: During the dry winter months, you need to apply the hand cream, more than twice a day, as the environment tends to dry your hands out faster than other months. Also, if you tend to wash your hands frequently throughout the day, it is highly recommended to apply extra cream.
With so many choices on the market, it can be difficult to choose the best anti-aging hand cream for us, especially after reading honest reviews of the top 5 hand creams. Some of the creams were wonderful at rejuvenating our hands and other hand creams helped cure our hands from the day-today abuse.
Which is the one for you?
If we had to choose two of these fantastic five creams, the best overall hand cream for removing signs of aging, curing severely dried and chapped hands is Salcoll Collagen Hand Cream. If you are looking for a high-quality anti-aging hand cream that won’t hurt your pocket book, consider Aveeno Positively Ageless Skin Strengthening Hand Cream.